Leave the city life behind you, reenergise, refresh, unwind and rediscover nature in the beautiful bushland setting of Turon Gates.
Located just 2.5 hours by car from Sydney, Turon Gates offers an idyllic weekend or midweek escape in the Australian bush.
Enjoy Trout fishing in the crystal clear Turon River, bush walking in 6,000 acres of untouched bushland. Swim in wonderful deep bush swimming holes against a shear cliff backdrop. Canoe along the 8km river, horse ride across the hillside and rocky mountain streams, try your luck panning for gold, or simply relax in a hammock under a gum tree and enjoy the sounds of nature. At Turon Gates, you can do everything or nothing at all.
The accommodation is matched perfectly to the natural setting, seven rustic log cabins situated along 15km of crystal clear trout stream and 8 mountain retreat cottages with sensational views each accommodating up to 8 people in a cosy and private surroundings. There are tables and chairs under the gum trees with outdoor woodfired BBQ’s providing the perfect end to a day of adventure or relaxation.
Each cabin offers a unique experience, offering everything from Mountain Vista’s to river side relaxation. With a range of 1, 2 & 3 bedroom cabins, there are a total of 120 beds at Turon (not that you would know it), which makes it a great location for group holidays.
For a complete escape delicious home cooked meals are available, as well as a wide range of pampering beauty treatments.
You only have to ask any one who has been there to find out how fabulous the place is!
- Turon Gates is a unique bush hideaway set in unspoilt Australian wilderness, located just 2.5hrs drive from Sydney CBD. An ideal place to escape city life and rediscover nature for a weekend or midweek break. It’s approximately 30 mins from Lithgow.
- With over 6,000 acres of wondrous bushland and surrounding hills covered with towering pines and magnificent gums, Turon Gates is designed to offer a quiet and inexpensive country get away.
- Featuring 7 rustic log cabins situated along 15kms of crystal clear trout stream and 8 cottages with sensational mountain views. Fully self contained they offer everything needed for a comfortable and enjoyable stay for up to 8 people. There is a total number of 120 beds at Turon! There are some cabins grouped and some very remote.
- Rediscover nature with endless activities including trout fishing, horse riding, bushwalking, canoeing, swimming, gold panning and mountain biking. Do everything or relax in a hammock under the gum trees and enjoy the peace and tranquillity.
- Enjoy Kangaroos, wombats, echidnas and goannas in their natural habitat. Plus farm animals in the main homestead. A wonderful child friendly environment.
- Turon Gates welcomes pets, it’s tick free.
- Turon Gates is eco friendly using only gas and solar energy.
- Visit nearby wine region of Mudgee and enjoy specialty local food and wine, or explore the gold towns of Sofala and Hill End.
- Prices range from $360 for a 3 night weekend in the river cabins to $480 for the mountain cabins. (3 adults or 2 adults / 2 children). Midweek rates start at $110 per night.
- Camping is available, with no booking required for $22 per car and $6 per trailer per night. Off road 4wd driving is not permitted.
- All cabins are fully self contained each with its own unique character. All you need to bring is food and linen. (linen can be provided for a small additional charge)….and may be tissues, insect repellent, candles, torch, matches, camera!
- Delicious home cooked meals and pampering beauty treatments are available. Phone Sarah on 63590098 to pre book.
- Horse riding is available with hourly or half day rates. ( helmets must be worn and are available there).
- The crystal clear Turon River is a freshwater trout stream and perfect for all dedicated fly fishermen. The season extends from the October to June long weekends. Please bring your own fishing gear and license.
- How to get there - Turon Gates is about a 2.5 hour drive from the Sydney CBD. Take the M4 Freeway (through Penrith and Katoomba) or M2/M7 Motorway (exit Richmond Road and turn right) to Lithgow. Drive through/past Lithgow and follow the signs to Mudgee until you come to a small village called Capertee (approximately 25 mins from Lithgow). Continue through Capertee for about 1.5 kms and you will see a sign for Turon Gates on the left.
Its 4-6 kms to the mountain cottages (depending which one!) and 12 kms to the river cottages - follow the signs and cattle grids.
Related story: Averting Childhood's End