Providing an unparalleled in-depth experience, Travel Indochina’s 16 day Silk Road Small Group Journey captures the imagination on one of the world’s great trade routes. The journey brings to life the rich convergence of cultures and religions, traversing from Xian to Kashgar via the fascinating towns of Lanzhou, Xiahe, Jiayuguan, Dunhuang, Turpan and Urumqi along the way.
Highlights of the tour include:
- Seeing the spectacular Terracotta Warriors in Xian;
- A leisurely boat journey to the beguiling Bingling Si Caves;
- A visit to the active Labrang Monastery in Xiahe, and a fascinating insight into local life at a Tibetan home in the Sangke Grassland;
- Discovering an ancient frontier fortress and climbing a remote part of the Great Wall at Jiayuguan, where the vast desert is flanked by snow-capped peaks in a stunning contrast;
- An exhilarating camel ride along the sand dunes at Dunhuang;
- Witnessing ancient Buddhist cave art at the spectacular Mogao Caves;
- Lunch at a Uighur home in an oasis town;
- Experiencing the clamour and excitement of Kashgar’s infamous Sunday Bazaar, then stepping back in time on a walking tour through the city’s backstreets.
Limited places are available on the tour as Travel Indochina’s Small Group Journeys travel with a maximum of 16 passengers to maintain the intimate and flexible style of travel the company is known for. Travelling with fellow like-minded passengers, the package incorporates 13 nights hotel accommodation, 2 overnight soft sleeper train rides, 3 internal flights and return transfers, as well as local English speaking guides and a Western tour leader based on a minimum of seven travellers. Prices start from $5,670 per person twin share.